Welcome to the eXtension Alliance for Better Child Care database of fingerplays and songs for child care. Is there anything more enjoyable than watching young children light up as they sing a favorite song? In this collection, you will find lots of fingerplays, songs, and rhymes — some familiar and some new.
There are three ways to see the fingerplays, songs, and rhymes:
- Search for fingerplays and songs that meet your specific needs.
- View an alphabetical list (by title) of all fingerplays and songs.
- Browse individual fingerplays and songs to see what catches your eye.
We hope you find this collection of fingerplays, songs, and rhymes fun and useful. We encourage you to sing songs, do fingerplays, and chant rhymes often. They are great for building language as children increase vocabulary, learn the sounds of words, and hear the rhythm of language. Children can also gain large and small motor, memory, and social skills. Parents and grandparents may also enjoy sharing songs and rhymes they knew as children.
For More Information
To learn more about supporting young children’s learning in child care, visit the eXtension Alliance for Better Child Care section on Early Learning and School Readiness, or take a look at the following articles:
- Helping Young Children Learn to Love Literacy
- Language and Literacy in Child Care
- Music Activities Teach Important Skills to Children in Child Care
For ideas on more specific activities to use in your child care program, check out the database of Hands-On Activities for Child Care, or visit the the database of Story-Stretching Ideas for Child Care to find activities that expand on favorite children’s stories.
Photo by lisibo / CC BY http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/